Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Law of Attraction

(Disclaimer: This is a strange sort of post that really just dives into some personal life philosophies I have about how being positive can make good things happen in your life. If you don't want to read musings on the subject, then don't. Go with peace and have a nice day.) ^_^

Today I sort of took a day for myself because I've been so sick. I stayed in bed until like 2 p.m. and read Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse. It was a really good book and meshed really well with my own views and philosophies. (I put a review on GoodReads. Maybe I'll make a review post of it here.) It also made me think a lot about the Law of Attraction, especially this bit:

“When you throw a rock into the water, it will speed on the fastest course to the bottom of the water. This is how it is when Siddhartha has a goal, a resolution. Siddhartha does nothing, he waits, he thinks, he fasts, but he passes through the things of the world like a rock through water, without doing anything, without stirring; he is drawn, he lets himself fall. His goal attracts him, because he doesn't let anything enter his soul which might oppose the goal. This is what Siddhartha has learned among the Samanas. This is what fools call magic and which they think is effected by demons. Nothing is effected by demons, there are no demons. Everyone can perform magic, everyone can reach his goals, if he is able to think, if he is able to wait, if he is able to fast.”
                                                                                                        ―
Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha 
The Law of Attraction kept coming up today in other areas. My internship--which I LOVE--offered to pay me for proofreading assignments I take, starting with the last one I did. I'm so excited because it's something I'd be doing anyway, and it's something I love doing. 

It's funny how things seem to work out so easily when I'm heading in the right direction. I really wanted to intern in publishing, but there aren't many agencies or publishers that I can intern for remotely. I sent in one application and got it. I do work I love without worrying about getting paid because I know it will lead to paid work somewhere down the road. I just love the experience. Unfortunately, I'm really hurting for money and beginning to wonder how I'm going to pay my bills, and now all of a sudden they're going to start paying me for something I'd being doing anyway. Maybe one day the internship will turn into a job, either through the publisher I intern for or for another based on the experience I'm gaining. Either way, like Siddhartha, I'm letting my goal pull me instead of forcing it. Everything will happen as it's meant to in the time it's meant to happen.
I don't believe in fate, but I do believe that when I'm on the right "path" or going in a direction that will be good for me and my life, things are easy, and when I'm heading in a direction that will negatively affect my life, there will be obstacles and roadblocks. The right direction won't necessarily be effortless, but I feel like if I stay out of my own way, things will work out for the best. Trying to force something doesn't make it right; it makes it strained. If I go with the flow instead of fighting the current, the river will carry me to a destination. If I don't like that destination, I can always try a new river, but fighting the current or clawing my way up the bank doesn't get me anywhere any faster. I just arrive tired and grumpy and at odds with myself and my purpose.
I told a friend this, and that fighting himself and situations as they arise, or not seeking situations outside of his comfort zone has a lot to do with fear, and is partly why his life is at a standstill. He replied that fighting the river is how magikarp become gyarados in Pokémon--carp to dragon apparently--but that he's not a carp and would rather change where he is than who or what he is. Comfort kills.
The Pokémon reference was a little lost on me until he explained, but I love the sentiment. Fighting the river changes you, and not always for the better. Going with the river just changes circumstances. Ultimately, every person has to make the choice which way is best for them. It's an elegant and concise way to look at it.
Around the same time on Facebook, my sister posted about unfriending people who post racist things because she'd rather not have that in her life, and the Law of Attraction came up again.
Living with someone extremely racist who hated gay people and anyone with mental disabilities gave me little tolerance for the hateful views of others. Something about having a knife held to my throat for having gay friends made me question the intelligence, sanity, and goodness of people who hate others for no reason. My thoughts on the matter are this: if you send hate and negativity out into the Universe, you will receive the same in kind, and your life with revolve around hate and negativity. If you send love into the Universe and love those around you, murderers and millionaires alike, simply by virtue that we are all human and all suffering, you will receive love and goodness into your life. Plato said it best--
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
I do think we should be kind to racists and bigots, but that doesn't mean I want their hateful views anywhere near me. I can love someone for being a flawed human being even if I am strongly opposed to the flaws themselves. But I have learned from experience that most people with strong, hateful views don't see anything wrong with those views. My options are then either talk myself blue in the face trying to convince them that their views are ignorant and hurtful, and the people they hate are exactly like them and just as deserving of love, or I can choose to wish them a happy life and not suffer a toxic, venomous relationship. Constantly seeing something like that would diminish any respect I had for the person, so it would be better to retain fondness for a person I am fundamentally at odds with than to slowly harbor resentment and sadness for them because of their views. (Which they have every right to have.) I do it, too. I'm often guilty of being bigoted against people that I believe violate the rights of others or support policies that do, and so sometimes I have to work not to dislike a person simply because of their political views.

Every person on the planet could benefit from being kind to those around them, regardless of reasons they might not want to. Especially when they don't want to.

There's no scientific basis to the Law of Attraction, but I believe it's a beautiful way to live your life. Goodness out, goodness in. Badness out, badness in. So after the crummy week I've had, I'm thankful for the bit of goodness I've received today, and I'm re-evaluating my life to ensure I'm putting positive energy into the Universe. After all, there's enough negativity without me adding to it.

Whatever your goal is, whether it's to get a new job or win a karaoke contest or get your book published...by being positive and expecting good things, you can only help yourself and your cause. Now go be positive and happy and be kind to your enemies. It'll do you as much good as it will do them.
  ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment